Monday, July 15, 2013

Pumpkin Pancakes in July

You know when it feels like Halloween but it's not Halloween?

Yeah. That's been happening to me.



Lately, I've been sitting in my backyard watching the sunset. For some reason, the way the sky turns orange reminds me of Halloween.

Halloween is my favorite holiday.

Costumes and face paint and fake tombstones?

Lugging a pillowcase around door to door, hoping the next house will have Heath Bars?

Watching Halloweentown and Hocus Pocus at 8pm on school nights on the Disney Channel?

Yes. Yes. and Yes.

(P.S: My favorite candy is Heath Bars. The houses that have  them always get extra cool points in my book! :)

There is nothing more magical than Party City at Halloween time. If you don't like Halloween stores, what is wrong witchu foo?

 Just kidding. I still love ya.

Kinda.

No but seriously. I have a deep seeded obsession with horrific creatures.

-My first (...and only...ahem...) boyfriend was a Dracula doll that talked. Before you think I'm complete psycho, know that I was five years old. And might I just say all these new Hollywood movies/tv shows that center around vampires can just fade away. Original Dracula was where it was at. :)

-For Valentine's Day, I bought a pack of monster Valentine cards. They were pics of the original Mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula, WereWolf, Chucky, etc. etc. I liked to pretend the cards were given to me by the monsters themselves. I was four.

-I had a crush on Chucky the Doll. Is that normal?! Probably not.

Halloween is my favorite holiday. Autumn is my favorite season.

Surprise, surprise, summer is my least favorite season (even though my birthday's in July) so last week, when it got a little chilly and the sky turned amber and the air smelled like cinnamon, I jumped aboard the autumn train.

Ed Sheeran played on the stereo. Spice candles decorated the coffee table. Pumpkin cooked on the stove top.


I hoard canned pumpkin. It's a problem most fall loving bakers share. I think pumpkin bread is the best thing that's ever happened to humanity. Truth.

I had the sudden urge to bake something with pumpkin. So I did.

Pumpkin pancakes.

Boom shaka laka boom.



Buttermilk pancakes are awesome. Pumpkin pancakes are awesome-r.

I had just gone out to breakfast with my mom, aunt, and grandma and ordered a pumpkin waffle. For the first time! It's so hard to find pumpkin foods in the off seasons.

These pumpkin pancakes are light and full of cinnamon-nutmeg-cloves-ginger-goodness! Be warned though: one bite, and you'll really wish it was autumn. And it was delish! My dad even gave them a thumbs up!



Recipe is from Food.com.

http://www.food.com/recipe/light-and-fluffy-pumpkin-pancakes-187362

So bake these while wearing a Halloween costume for an extra sprinkling of autumn fun. (I did. :)

Enjoy and let me know how it goes and what season you feel like you've been living in lately.

Now excuse me while I go decorate the house in orange foliage, light candles, and watch Halloweentown. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment